Teaching at University
Thank you for your interest in teaching at an upcoming University session.
Currently accepting class proposals for:
Session #104, of
June 13, 2020
Deadline for TRACK proposals is May 1, 2020.
Deadline for INDIVIDUAL CLASS proposals is May 1, 2020.
Please read the following before submitting class or track proposals.
- University classes are 50 minutes at 10:00, 11:00, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, & 4:30.
- Some classes may be two or more slots.
- Usually an individual may teach no more than two classes at each session.
- Class proposals may be submitted three ways:
- A track is a series of classes on a particular topic that is usually scheduled sequentially in the same room. Complete tracks are sent as one message.
- Follow up a face to face discussion with the chancellor with an email or written communication.
- If you are proposing more than one class, please rank them by preference.
- If you choose to email or mail your class proposal instead of logging in to the University web site and
use the online proposal form, include the following:
- Title of the Class
- Brief description of the class including any equipment students need to bring, age limits, and URL, phone number or email for more information about class, if you like.
- SCA name(s) of teacher(s) without titles.
- Teacher(s) modern name and contact information (email or phone). Please include legal name and contact information for all teachers in track proposals.
- Class length
- Enrollment limit, if any
- Materials fee
- Include any special room requirements for space, tables, or A/V equipment. Please indicate which rapier and heavy classes will actually swing weapons, so that MoL and marshals may be arranged. Indicate if the teacher can provide marshal supervision.
- Please use plain text without fancy formatting to simplify catalog preparation.
- Individual proposals and final tracks are due 6 weeks before the session.
- Inform the Chancellor two months prior to each session if you are planning a track of classes. Final tracks with the data for all classes are due 6 weeks prior to the session. There will be a limited number of tracks guaranteed in advance. Other tracks may be proposed and ultimately scheduled as the rest of the individual proposals are received and space is available.
- Proposals received after the deadline may be scheduled if space is available or cancellations are received.
Criteria for selecting classes:
- When a class proposal is received
- Kingdom officers' classes have priority
- How recently the class has been taught
- Novelty/spiffness/coolness of class
- Is this a popular, limited enrollment class that always fills up?
- Chancellor's whim
- Pick up your class roster from the Registrar.
- Check off your name as instructor and have all students check off their name if they pre-registered.
- Students not pre-registered fill in legal and SCA names legibly on the roster.
- Return the roster to the Registrar before you leave the site so that all students may receive credit for classes taken. If you accidentally leave the event with a roster, please mail the roster to the Registrar.
For any historical combat classes that will actually engage in free-assault, sparring, or any form of competitive use of the arts or practice weapons, there must be a warranted MoL to check authorizations and warranted marshals for safety.